Over seventy-years ago, a young man, with a rich background in
the funeral profession dreamed of building a funeral home offering
the finest possible funeral service at the lowest possible
Maytor H. McKinley was born and raised in the funeral
business. He was the third generation of a family that had been in
the business for over one hundred years. His father and grandfather
had preceded him in the operation of funeral establishments in
Northern Wisconsin and Northern Minnesota.
In 1933, Maytor H. McKinley sold his business interest in
Wisconsin and Minnesota and moved to Los Angeles. In 1934 he became
an employee of the L.F. Utter Company, which he eventually
purchased and changed the name to Utter-McKinley Mortuaries. Over
the next thirty years, Utter-McKinley established over eighteen
funeral homes throughout Los Angeles County.
Since Mr. McKinley's death, his son, William J. McKinley has
assumed ownership of the firm. In 1962, Utter-McKinley Mission
Hills was built at the corner of San Fernando Mission Boulevard and
Columbus Avenue, across from the San Fernando Mission Hills
Cemetery. The mortuary business continues to remain active in the
community, supporting local churches, service clubs and charities.
Utter-McKinley is one of the few family-owned funeral homes still
remaining in the valley today.
Utter-McKinley San Fernando Mission Mortuary was recently
enlarged with the addition of a second chapel, to serve the many
families seeking our services.